The 2014 Shell Eco-marathon took place in Rotterdam in mid-May 2014 with the participation over 200 teams from 26 countries. Teams of young engineers were challenged to design and build the most energy-efficient car.
BACKGROUND & STRATEGY
The objective was to take the Shell Eco- marathon to the next level by growing the event, its visibility, its prestige and its thirst for innovation through coverage by Eurosport’s unrivalled pan-European television and online platforms.
Shell and Eurosport partnered to create a campaign based on enthusiasm and exposure to the Shell Eco-marathon before, during and after the event.
- Eurosport produced a series of short programmes called The Road to Rotterdam revealing the human stories behind the teams, the technologies that they have employed as well as the challenges brought by the competition (4 fresh and short programmes broadcast in 20 languages on Eurosport during almost an hour)
- Eurosport.com created a specific section dedicated to the Shell Eco-marathon displaying the programmes’ videos in 6 languages (Top 5 and Turkish).
- Teams also contributed to the website by submitting stories of their experiences of the Shell Eco-marathon competition.
- This activity was supported by online banners driving traffic to the website section, and strong Social Media push through Eurosport’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Eurosport broadcast a 26 minute highlight programme (1 fresh and 2 repeats) of the event in Rotterdam.
- Eurosport delivered a promo spots package to support the broadcast and online presence.
- The mobile-optimised digital platform allowed fans to follow the progress of the teams via real-time updates.
- 2 short programmes broadcast in 20 languages (approximately 30 minutes), available on the dedicated digital platforms.
- One programme featured the winners of the Shell Eco-marathon in Rotterdam (Team Microjoule).
- Another programme presented the winners of the online competition, the team whose stories contributed best to the website.
RESULTS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- THE VIGNETTES REACHED A TOTAL OF 3,284,000 VIEWERS THE 3 X 26MIN PROGRAMME REACHED OVER 2 MILLION EUROPEANS
- TEAMS ACTIVELY PARTICIPATED IN THE ONLINE COMPETITION, PROVIDING MORE THAN 50 STORIES, PICTURES AND VIDEOS
- THESE TEAM STORIES RECEIVED A TOTAL OF MORE THAN 9,500 FACEBOOK LIKES AND ALMOST 2,000 SHARES